Friday, August 14, 2009

38 Week Dr's Appointment

I have been getting a lot of questions about the Dr's appointment today so I thought I would pop on and write about it.

It was quite eventful. The ultrasound tech was great (one of the other ones we have frequently had, not so great) and was really attentive, thorough and caring. My fluid measured lower then last week and so now I am at the lowest end of normal. That brought tears as I have been so worried about that being a cause for an automatic c-section. Thankfully the baby measured well and seems to about 6 1/2 pounds or so which is right where she should be. She had a harder time measuring today because Alexis was so curled up. But there was fluid in her belly which is a sign she is still swallowing fluid. As in the past, the babies kidney's are fine, it just appears to be my placenta beginning to get old.

After that we headed over to see Dr. Gray. He was reassuring about the fluid and making sure we did everything to ensure the babies well being. He scheduled me to have a NST (Non-stress-test) for that day and I will schedule more for next week. The BIG HAPPY news was that when he checked me, I WAS DILATED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you know the meaning of that??? =0) Seriously, I was 1 1/2 centimeters...I had to ask him again if he was serious!! In the past, it has taken me literally a day and the second time about 15 hours..of labor...to get to about 2 centimeters!! So I was, and am, amazed!! He then swept my membranes which is pulling the sac away from the wall to try and stimulate labor. If it helps, it should work within 48 hours. If you are effaced, there is a higher chance of it working. And since I am, that is also in our favor. We will see what happens.

We then went to lunch and then back again for the NST. Everything with that went well. Right now my parent's are both here and I am just very crampy and sore. I'm also very edgy, nervous, sensitive and frustrated. I just want this to be over...but then I am so scared of what has to be done for that to happen! I'm thankful for your prayers and for all the love being sent! Thank you! I can't wait to introduce our little girl to the world...hopefully sooner then later! (And let me know you came by and read the update! Nice to know who reads these things once in awhile!)

14 comments:

Veronica said...

Heidi~
You are continually in my prayers. May God give you peace and rest as you anticipate Alexis' arrival.
In His grace,
Veronica

Anonymous said...

OMG I can not wait. I will be praying for you and your family.

Dr Gray? The Dr Gray in Whittier.... I love that man.

Anonymous said...

I keep checking in to see if she has arrived....hopefully soon! Hang in there! :)

Melanie B

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

Yay! Sounds good! i can't wait to see pictures of your little girl!

Susie said...

It's so good to hear you're making progress. Will be anxiously awaiting for an update. Love you! :)

PrincessJoylynn said...

Alright since you asked twice I will shoot you a line. It is 6a here in Texas and I can't sleep; for all I know maybe you are in labor now. Keep the updates comming.

natalie said...

i'm here...our girls will be so close in age!

gramridenour said...

We are on our way back to CA from being with Joylynn and Joel and Ross. We will be praying for a safe, healthy and "normal" delivery for you! I still am so blessed for you that the Lord has chosen to give you a daughter!! Hang in there and you will soon be on the other side with Alexis in your arms!!
Love, Joylynn's Mom, Edie

Hillary Edwards said...

Glad to hear that all is going well and that you are progressing! She'll be here soon!

Shirley Casey said...

Sounds like a pretty good report. I am praying sooner than later for you. :O) Dr. Gray in Whittier? Jr. or Sr.? Doc Sr. delivered some of us kids, I think even me and then his son was my doc before I moved to WA. Interesting.
Hang in there, put your feet up while the boys are at school and take a deep breath. :O) Can't wait!!!

Jacque Watkins said...

Heidi,
It's nice to hear your updates! So excited for you to meet your girl!

Bernie said...

Hello, I came across your blog, thought when you had time, we'd be good e-mail pals.
mrs.bernie78@gmail.com
I know you will be busy with baby, and it's understandable.
I've got two boys, age 5 1/2 and 11months.
We are Chrsitian, I've been married for 9 years.

Congrats on the little girl. Hope to hear from you.

allyzabba said...

can't wait to hear the fun news!

Bev said...

Thanks for update. Dawned on me all your birthdays, except Zachary's are in the 20s. 20, 23,26,28. Guess Lexy is waiting for sometine after the 20th to roll around. You have done so good, just hang in there a little longer and you will have your precious little girl. God is watching over you.