Monday, April 12, 2010

A New Challenge

I have been meaning to write this the past few weeks. As things usually go, it takes a lot longer to actually get done many of the things I want to.

After the weight loss challenge ended, I kind of had that "What am I going to do with myself now?" feeling. Many of my friends have taken up running or have been running for a long time. The day before the challenge ended I thought, "What the heck, I'll give this a try". Now mind you, I have always hated running. Truly hated it. I can clearly remember back to Jr High when we used to have to run a mile weekly. I think it needed to be completed in 15 minutes or less. I would usually power walk it, walk, maybe jog...and barely make the cut off. So as far back as I can remember, never a fan.

So back to the first run. I threw on my shoes, told Craig I would be back in a few, and started out on my pre mapped 1.3 mile run. Run! A friend had challenged me to try getting out there and doing a mile without stopping...and I did not stop once!! I was so amazed....and completely out of breath! It took me quite awhile to cool down with the combination of that being my first run ever and not pacing myself all that well and going too fast. But I had done it. I hated it and yet, I was somehow intrigued. Could I do that again? Would it get easier?

That was a Saturday. On Monday, I set out again. Same route, only it didn't feel as hard to recover after. And then I ran again. And again the day after that. I decided I wanted a way to track my progress. I wanted to know exactly how far I was going, how fast, what my pace was and my calories burned. I had heard the Nike Plus system was good and decided upon that. The first week after the challenge, I ran 5 out of 7 days! 5 of those were in a row and then we went to my parents for 2 days and I didn't get the chance to run while there. Craig told me he was really surprised I had kept the running up. That he thought I would run the one time, and be done with it. He said he thought, "She's not a runner." Thanks Hon! But really, I know what he meant and I felt the same way about myself. But I just wanted to see what I could do. I've surprised both of us!

Another thing that helped motivate me to run, and is really the main factor, is keeping the weight off. I don't have a lot of time to work out in this stage of life. Knowing that I can just throw my shoes on, grab my itouch and run around my neighborhood in 20 minutes, burning about 230 calories is great motivation! So far my fastest mile is 10 minutes 6 seconds and longest run is 2 miles. I'm hoping to increase that length soon but fell last week and really did a number on my knees. I have been frustrated at the delay that's caused and am worried I will lose the progress I have already made. While I still greatly dislike running, I am eager to get back out there and keep that metabolism boosted!

And, I'm excited to have a new challenge! Next challenge, an actual race! ;0)

3 comments:

Traci said...

You can do it, Heidi! Just think how far you have already come. You are running fast!! Great job! How about start training for a 5K (3.1 miles). Slowly increase your distance til you hit it. Actually signing up for a race helps too, because you're committed to that race and the distance it is. A lot of running is the mental aspect of continuing and pushing yourself to go a little further. I don't know if I will ever "like" it, but it sure does make you feel good after. And a great way to keep weight off too. :) Great job!!

Crystal said...

How cool! I took up running with my mom a few months before I got pregnant with Keira, and was up to running 5 miles at a time (well, jogging would be a more correct term...). Then that early pregnancy exhaustion hit, and I gave it up. I've tried to start up again a few times, but never kept it up--I keep thinking about it, though. Maybe I'll be a copycat and challenge myself to join in!

Susie said...

Miss Clear would be so proud. :)