Friday, October 29, 2010

The Sweetest Thing



A few nights ago we put the kids down as usual. Often one of the boys gets back up for one reason or another. That night I was feeding Alexis and in walks Zachary. He had a strange look on his face but keeping with the rules I told him he needed to get back into bed. He told me he needed to tell Daddy something. I responded that I didn't know where Daddy was and to just tell me. He started to speak and as he did, his sweet little face started to crumble and his voice break. He said, "Daddy just did something that made me so happy! He pulled my dog and he hadn't done that in a long time...and when I heard it...it made me so happy I cried. And I pulled it over and over again...." by now tears are rolling down his face. I thought my heart was going to break and my eyes instantly filled with tears.

"Dog" as he was affectionately named years ago, has been Zachary's "lovey toy" of choice since he was born. Dog has slept with Zachary every night the past 6 years. He is a pull toy and plays a little song for about a minute or so. Since Zachary's first year of life he started asking us to pull the string for him so he could hear Dog's song. Over the last year the intensity of Zachary's love for Dog has been waning which made me sad. As a result, we stopped pulling Dog's string. When Craig pulled it for him that night our sweet Zachey was moved to tears.

I'm telling you, that was one of the sweetest things I have ever experienced! Oh how I am going to miss their babyhood!









4 comments:

Melinda said...

Such a sweet story!!!

Bev said...

Tugs at the heart strings for sure.

Crystal said...

Oh, my gosh! That totally made ME cry when I read it! (Be careful, or I'll have to put my Toy Story 3/Knuffle Bunny Free warning label on you, too!) ;)

Susie said...

That is definitely the sweetest thing ever! What a sweet boy he is.